10 important takeaways from recent conversations/meetings/conference talks:
1. The Common Core will help students succeed in college and career.
2. With deeper learning and critical thinking, the higher standards will lead to greater opportunities for all students.
3. Implementing the standards provides a foundation for students to build competencies for success in college and career.
4. Teachers overwhelmingly support the standards and believe the assessments aligned to the new standards will help foster great teaching.
5. To ensure all students are prepared for success after graduation, the Common Core State Standards establish a set of clear, consistent guidelines for what students need to now and be able to do at each level of their K12 education in English Language Arts and math.
6. Forty-five states have adopted and are moving forward with the Common Core State Standards.
7. A majority of teachers believe the new standards will be positive for most students, but both teachers and students need the right supports and resources to ensure success.
8. The assessments of the new standards aim to provide meaningful feedback and actionable data to inform instruction.
9. Common Core Standards structure education around the core skills and knowledge that students need to master in order to succeed in college and careers no matter where their family lives.
10. By setting consistent, high goals for students in the state, the Common Core State Standards help ensure all students receive a quality education and are on a path to succeed.
We must stay the course. The world is a more demanding place today than ever before. Not only do students have to compete with others in their community for colleges and jobs, they must also compete with students around the country and the world. The vision for all students to access a world-class education makes it important to stay on the course. As colleges and employers expect more, we all have a role to play in helping students master the knowledge and skills that students need to be successful.